Dog Pool Safety
As your family heads to the backyard pool, don’t forget to bring everything your furry friend will need! Most dogs enjoy playing in the water or swimming. Make sure you have what your dog needs to be safe and happy: a puncture-proof or puncture-resistant pool; dog safety equipment like a ramp, dog pool float, dog life jacket (even a shark dog life jacket for more fun!), and dog pool alarm. Oh yeah – and don’t forget the dog pool toys!
Also, make sure to follow basic safety steps to keep your water-loving friend safe:
- It may seem obvious, but make sure your dog can swim. If she can’t, slowly introduce her to the water by holding her and lowering her into the water gently. Show her the stairs or ramp exit for the pool. Gradually move to different areas of the pool always leading her back to the exit so she won’t panic and not be able to find it if she falls in.
- Speaking of falling in, if you have a permanent pool make sure to have a fence around it for the safety of children and your dog.
- Always supervise your dog when he is in the pool.
- For dogs who are older or not as comfortable swimming, a dog life vest can provide them with security to be able to enjoy the water more.
- Another option for older or low energy pups is to provide them with a dog pool float. Then your dog can still be with you while she lounges!
- Make sure you know how to perform Red Cross Pet CPR in case of an accident.
In case you don’t have an in ground or above ground permanent pool, let’s look at some fun splash pools for your dog.
I get commissions from purchases made through links in this post.
Puncture Proof Dog Pool
Don’t worry about the size – this one comes with FREE Amazon Prime shipping.
While stock tanks are traditionally meant for livestock, the majority of reviews on this product are from folks like you who are using it as a dog pool, duck pond, or fish tank.
If your pup is a larger breed, young and rambunctious, or just hard on toys then a stock tank will hold up nicely to your pup! This doggy pond comes in 50, 100, 150, and 300-gallon sizes to suit any dog.
It has a drain plug and is made in the USA. Surf’s up!
Foldable Dog Swimming Pool
Topeakmart Foldable PVC Dog Swimming Pool Or Bathing Tub
If you don’t need anything quite as sturdy as a stock tank then give this foldable dog swimming pool a try.
The size is 55.1 inches wide by 11.8 inches high. The weight is only about 13 pounds so it’s easy to store away for the winter.
It got really good reviews for standing up to doggies and kids.
If you choose to buy an inflatable or folding pool (not hard-sided) you’ll probably also want to get a pool patch kit. Accidental punctures will happen, and it’s nice to be able to fix it on the spot and go on with your fun outdoor plans.
Especially if you have kids playing the water too. 🙂 No dog or kid meltdowns is a win!
Dog Pool Ramp
If you have an actual in ground pool or above ground pool with a deck, a dog pool exit ramp is a must.
The ramp is striped in blue and yellow, which the manufacturer says is best for dog and cat vision. The ramp also has a non-skid coating.
You won’t need to damage your pool deck with screws since the ramp uses large weighted bags to hold the ramp down. It also makes it easy to move the dog exit ramp around to different areas of the pool as needed.
This ramp supports up to 110 pounds of animal weight.
To make you feel even better about your purchase:
- 2 year 100% money back guarantee
- Fast, free shipping
- Made in the USA in San Diego, California, by US Vietnam Veterans
So you get to keep your pet safe and support a made in the USA product at the same time. Sounds like winner, winner doggy dinner to me!
Dog Life Jackets
This dog life jacket is great for swimming or other water sports.
The Ruffwear Float Coat dog life jacket has:
- Sizes XXS through XL
- An adjustable telescoping neck to fit your dog securely
- Reflective trim
- A grab handle on top to help your dog out of the water
- A loop for attaching a light
- Closed-cell foam panels that support an upright swimming position
- Comes in sizes XS, S, M, L, XL
- Front neck float to keep your dog’s head above water
- Dual grab handles on top for added safety in helping your dog out of the water
- Designed for swimming or water play
- Sizes XS through XXL
- Fully adjustable straps
- Durable grab handle
- D hook on the back for dog leash if needed
- Oh yeah, and a shark fin!
Dog Pool Alarm
If you have a permanent in ground or above ground pool with a deck your pet can get into, then you need the Safety Turtle pool alarm. The unit comes with two units to attach to your dog’s collar.
If your dog goes in the water, the alarm will sound. This is important because sometimes pets fall in the water, panic, and can’t find the stairs out.
This pool alarm is portable so you can take it to visit friends or on vacation. The alarm doesn’t require programming or wiring.
The base station plugs into a power outlet (US plug) and the turtles are battery powered.
Of course, please don’t leave your dog unattended around a pool or water. This is to be used as a backup safety measure only.
You can purchase an extra collar if you have more than two dogs or something happens to the original collars.
Dog Pool Float
This pool float is great for smaller dogs and can support up to 65 pounds.
- Paw and claw friendly fabric that’s puncture resistant
- Patented inner spring around the outside edge of the float gives better stability in the water
- Portable – folds into three small circles for travel and storage
- Measures 51.5″L x 31″W x 9″H and supports dogs up to 65 pounds
SwimWays Spring Float Paddle Paws Dog Pool Float – Large (65 lbs and Up)
- Measures 64 5″L x 43 25″W x 9″H
- Ideal for dogs over 65 pounds
- Same paw and claw friendly fabric as the small dog pool float
- Folds flat for easy storage and travel
Dog Pool Toys
Of course your dog needs pool toys to enjoy, too! Check out this assortment of bumpers, discs, balls, and other floating toys.
West Paw Zogoflex Hurley Dog Bone Chew Toy – Floatable Pet Toy